Strangeness with rsync

Clay Goss ClayGoss at gosscomputerprojects.net
Tue Mar 8 15:01:07 GMT 2005

Ok. I have done some experimenting with the ""file has vanished:" problem.

The most recent file I had exhibiting this problem was named:

"University Student's Realty Associates Power Point.ppt"

It did not exist on the receiving side of the rsysc after the run.  I
manually created the mount to the windows PC share and navigated to the
file.  I could list it with "ls" but could not "cat" it - got an error that
"The file did not exist."

Something possessed me to remove the "'" and rename the file to:

"University Students Realty Associates Power Point.ppt"

It rsynced fine.

Just for giggles, I named it back to:

"University Student's Realty Associates Power Point.ppt"

It rsynced fine and now I can access it through the mount from a shell
terminal.  There are many files on the "source" system with "'" in their
name, so I know the problem is not the using of the "'", but rather with how
it is coded.

Perhaps, this is related to other posts concerning "8bit" vs. "UTF8" vs.
"iso8859-1" vs. etc. character coding.

Take care,
Clay Goss