connection unexpectedly closed error

Lawrence Wong lawrencewong72 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 6 10:13:00 GMT 2005

Hi Wayne,

--- Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 06:53:08AM -0800, Lawrence
> Wong wrote:
> > # rsync -av --stats --delete --force
> > ftp.funet.fi::CPAN
>
> Hmm, there's no destination directory specified
> there.  Did you omit it?
> Or are you doing a file listing?

I left out the destination directory when typing the
above. It's more like just a "." .

> > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9382362
> bytes received so far) [receiver]
> > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9382362
> bytes received so far) [generator]
>
> These come from the receiving side, so it is unknown
> why the sending
> side went away (since they didn't tell us).  Try
> using --delete-after,
> which will avoid a big delay prior to the start of
> the transfer and see
> if that makes a difference.
>
> > rsync error: timeout in data send/receive (code
> 30) at io.c(153)
> > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (837077
> bytes received so far) [receiver]
>
> This tells us that the other end of the connection
> timed out from lack
> of activity over the socket.  See the --delete-after
> suggestion above.
> Even then, if relatively few files are modified in
> the local repository
> the transfer can still time out.  The only solution
> for that (before
> 2.6.4 is released and is used on these servers) is
> to either break up
> the transfer into subdirs, or to touch small files
> at certain spots in
> the local hierarchy so that they will trigger
> periodic file transfers
> during the larger update.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the --delete-after
parameter and everything is back to normal!
--delete-during didn't solve the problem though.

> > I have tried RSYNC 2.6.4pre1 & 2.6.4pre2 but to no
> avail.
>
> Do you mean that they behaved in the same way as
> 2.6.3?  They should
> have because it is the remote side that is going
> away.  I assume that
> 2.5.7 would also behave in the same way on your
> updated system (possibly
> because your system is taking longer than it used to
> go through all the
> files looking for deletions and changes, and
> possibly because the other
> end of the connection has recently changed their
> timeout settings).

The strange thing was I tried 2.5.7 on the same system
as the 2.6.x (rpm -e 2.6.x.rpm and rpm -ivh 2.5.7.rpm)
and the problem went away too.

But for now I'll stick to 2.6.x with the
--delete-after parameter.

Thanks for your help and best regards,