which is faster and less bandwith

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Mar 5 21:23:43 GMT 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 03:09:03PM -0600, chris allen wrote:
> What it be better to run the rsync command on the backup server or the
> live server to save bandwith on the live server?

If I understand you correctly, you're copying files betweeen machine A
and B and you want to know if you should invoke the rsync command on
server A or B?  The answer to that is that there is no difference -- the
end result is the same number of processes on both systems.

The only thing that really makes a difference is going directly to the
source of the files.  For instance, if some of the backed-up files were
NFS mounted, it would be better to back them up off the NFS server than
off an NFS client.