Limit the total bytes transfered?

Terry Dooher tdooher.lists at naturalmotion.com
Tue Mar 1 09:52:30 GMT 2005

Michael Best wrote:

> I ask because a client had a broken filesystem that occasionally has 2T+
> files on it (broken filesystem, so they weren't actually that big) but
> we happily ran up a huge b/w bill with rsync.

For this specific example you could probably wildcard match the files with a
--exclude= argument. Borked filesystems usually generate matchable files. For
a more generic test:

Which is crude, time-consuming and won't transfer anything if you step even
one byte over the limit. How evil do you want to be? :)

You could get your script to parse file-from before hand and maybe only backup
  the entries that come in under the limit. Perhaps build the full file list
yourself, incrementing a counter each file until you reach the size limit then
fire off rsync with that new list passed to --files-from.

Again, not very elegant, but it'd do the job. This also assumes you're running
something unixy (Doing this stuff in batch a whole new level of hell).