linux kernel, git, and stateful sync

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jun 21 15:49:33 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 02:18:13PM -0600, Andrew Shewmaker wrote:
> I was wondering if H. Peter Anvin or Nathan Laredo had expressed their
> needs to the rsync developers?

No, they've not talked about what they're doing here.  It would be very
interesting to hear their thoughts on a utility that worked better with
large numbers of files.  One thing that I had thought to look into at
some point is a way to monitor the changes for a hierarchy of files at
the OS or driver level (perhaps using inotify?) and thus totally
eliminate the scan looking for changes (for up-to-date mirroring).