Need help with the rsync library and the communication protocol

matthias.christian at tiscali.de matthias.christian at tiscali.de
Thu Jul 28 00:09:31 GMT 2005

Hey,
I'm currently adding rsync to pacman (http://archlinux.org/pacman).  A static
version of the program is used for rescue operations. Because of this it
is impossible to use the rsync client programm via an execve call and we
need a version implemented in C.

So I started implementing it. But the rsync source isn't beautiful or structured
- it's just a big hunk of code. I spent nearly 4 hours in reading it.

Ok, first you transmit your version, e.g. "@RSYNCD: 29"; then you select
the module, e.g. "ftp", or list the modules via "#list". But how to select
the directory in the module? And how to download a file/produce the xdelta.
Is there maybe a paper or something similar describing this protocol?

My other Problem is librsync -- the header file is unreadable. Is there maybe
a doucmentation about this?

Thanks for any help
Matthias-Christian Ott

Der Tiscali DVD-Verleih: Viele Heimkino-Highlights bequem frei Haus.
Jetzt informieren und anmelden!
http://www.tiscali.de/kino/kino_netleih.php