rsync transmits unchanged data

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Wed Jul 27 14:46:04 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 04:26:39PM +0200, Martin Kammerlander wrote:
> Zitat von Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:36:05AM +0200, Martin Kammerlander wrote:
> > > hi all!
> > >
> > > I tried to synchronise a directory with the following command:
> > >
> > > rsync -avz --exclude "db/" /source/ /destination/folder/ --delete
> > >
> > > The source has 3 subfolders one of them is not necessary for to synchronize
> > so i
> > > exluded this folder.
> > > everything works fine and fast :) excludes were made...and all seems ok
> > > The data on the source folder changes every day once.
> > >
> > > But there is still one "problem": i tried to execute this command several
> > times.
> > > Sometimes rsync gives me the following output:
> > >

> > > building file list ... done
> > >
> > > sent 2801 bytes  received 20 bytes  5642.00 bytes/sec
> > > total size is 28151695  speedup is 9979.33
> > >
> > > So everything is up to date no changes were made...this is how it should
> > be!
> > >

> > > But mostly rsync copies always the same files of a certain folder again to
> > the
> > > destination folder...although REALLY no changes were made to the files!?
> > >
> > > rsync copies not all files of the this certain folder but only a few of
> > them...
> > >
> > > Sombody knows what's going wrong here...or maybe what is more likely: what
> > I'm
> > > doing wrong on my command?
> > >
> > > thanks for any suggestion
> >
> > Why don't you include one or two more '-v' and then mail us the output
> > for when rsync transfers file even though you think it shouldn't.
> >
> > -chris
> >

> The mail becomes too long when I post the hole output...
>
> The command was:
> rsync -avz --exclude "db/" /source/ /destination/folder/ --delete
>
> I suppose I found out now what the problem is:
>
> the folder "/source/" is a nfs mounted partition over the network...this seems
> to cause trouble. when I'm copying (with rsync) from my local hard drive the
> same files as from the nfs mounted one then everything is working fine!!

I don't know why it would matter, unless 1) the files really are
changing or 2) the nfs server is inconsistent about reporting
modification times.

> Is there another possibility to use rsync without mounting the nfs partition?
> How can I synchronize files from nfs??

If the nfs server runs sshd, you could always rsync from the remote
machine over ssh.  (Hint: use a single colon.)  Or, if you admin the
nfs server you could run an rsync daemon on the server.  (double colon)

-chris