rsync transmits unchanged data

Martin Kammerlander csad3934 at uibk.ac.at
Wed Jul 27 14:26:39 GMT 2005

Zitat von Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:36:05AM +0200, Martin Kammerlander wrote:
> > hi all!
> >
> > I tried to synchronise a directory with the following command:
> >
> > rsync -avz --exclude "db/" /source/ /destination/folder/ --delete
> >
> > The source has 3 subfolders one of them is not necessary for to synchronize
> so i
> > exluded this folder.
> > everything works fine and fast :) excludes were made...and all seems ok
> > The data on the source folder changes every day once.
> >
> > But there is still one "problem": i tried to execute this command several
> times.
> > Sometimes rsync gives me the following output:
> >

> > building file list ... done
> >
> > sent 2801 bytes  received 20 bytes  5642.00 bytes/sec
> > total size is 28151695  speedup is 9979.33
> >
> > So everything is up to date no changes were made...this is how it should
> be!
> >

> > But mostly rsync copies always the same files of a certain folder again to
> the
> > destination folder...although REALLY no changes were made to the files!?
> >
> > rsync copies not all files of the this certain folder but only a few of
> them...
> >
> > Sombody knows what's going wrong here...or maybe what is more likely: what
> I'm
> > doing wrong on my command?
> >
> > thanks for any suggestion
>
> Why don't you include one or two more '-v' and then mail us the output
> for when rsync transfers file even though you think it shouldn't.
>
> -chris

The mail becomes too long when I post the hole output...

The command was:
rsync -avz --exclude "db/" /source/ /destination/folder/ --delete

I suppose I found out now what the problem is:

the folder "/source/" is a nfs mounted partition over the network...this seems
to cause trouble. when I'm copying (with rsync) from my local hard drive the
same files as from the nfs mounted one then everything is working fine!!

Is there another possibility to use rsync without mounting the nfs partition?
How can I synchronize files from nfs??

regards
martin