hanging problem on cygwin

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jul 26 17:51:00 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 04:44:00PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
> I am frequently facing problem with rsync as it hangs with no
> messages.

It has been my experience that this is caused by bugs in cygwin's pipe
handling -- if you rsync directly to a daemon process, the data gets
sent over a socket and rsync does not hang.  If you use a remote-shell
connection, rsync has to talk over a pipe to the remote-shell, and the
cygwin code mangles the data, resulting in a hang.  If this is still the
case (which I believe it is), this hang is out of rsync's control.