Feature request for rsync for running scripts

Evan Harris eharris at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 21 01:16:49 GMT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 06:27:56PM -0500, Evan Harris wrote:
> > Is it possible that this patch might be added to the mainstream
> > release anytime soon?
>
> I was originally against the idea, but have softened my opposition after
> I saw how self-contained and simple the code turned out to be.  One
> remaining problem with it as it stands now is that it doesn't have the
> proper configure support (we may need to add a putenv() compatibility
> function, for instance).  If someone would like to help with the cross-
> platform compatibility of putenv(), that would help to speed this idea's
> acceptance a bit more.

Instead of putting those bits of info in the environment, why not just use
the same substitutions as are available in the log format directive in the
command string?  That would avoid any configure issues, and be just as
flexible. Or is that code not easy to reuse in this instance?

> > Is there a way to force creation of any necessary path
> > components of a "stem" directory of an rsync?
>
> Not without using --relative (and all that implies).  Rsync will only
> create the destination directory itself without that.

Thanks for the info.  Maybe either an option could be added to allow
creating the required higher level dirs, or maybe the -R option could be
modified to be able to take a numeric parameter that specifies how many
levels of the relative path should be removed, similar to what patch does?

Thanks.