Potential new option: --delete-during

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Jan 25 03:53:45 GMT 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:26:43AM -0600, John Van Essen wrote:
> Users who expect --delete to act before file transfers and want it that
> way to minimize the chance of rsync filling up the disk might be very
> surprised at this new behavior.

True.  I was also thinking about the interactions between old and new
versions, e.g. trying to request the --delete-before behavior using an
old rsync to talk to a new rsync, and I decided that it would be better
to leave --delete (and --delete-excluded) defaulting to the before-
transfer deletion behavior of old.  I've therefore eliminated the
--delete-before option (since it is the default of --delete) and
made --delete-during an official option.

I also added a popt alias for the option "--del" that will make it
easier to type than --delete-during.  The fact that it is a popt alias
means that someone trying to refuse delete options in their rsyncd.conf
file doesn't have to refuse "del" by name; e.g. the existing idiom of
refusing "delete" (which is a safety-oriented short-hand for "delete*")
will still refuse all delete options.

Reactions?  If anyone would like to try this out, just snag the latest
CVS version (or the latest "nightly" tar file from the website).