Potential new option: --delete-during

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Mon Jan 24 09:26:43 GMT 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:

> Comments?  How do people feel about making the --delete-during behavior
> the default --delete algorithm?  I think it will be much more efficient
> (and less prone to timeouts), so having it as the default is the best
> choice.

I agree that it is more efficient.  Having this capability is very nice.

Users who expect --delete to act before file transfers and want it that
way to minimize the chance of rsync filling up the disk might be very
surprised at this new behavior.

A change in default behavior (when it's not a security fix) can be
upsetting to those who depend upon it.

But if nobody on this list sees any problem with that, then go for it.
--
        John Van Essen  Univ of MN Alumnus  <vanes002 at umn.edu>