Specifying No Recursion Explicitly

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Jan 22 19:30:58 GMT 2005

Just for completeness, let me mention why this error occurs:

> rsync: The server is configured to refuse --recursive (-r)

... even when no -r was specified:

> rsync -tvv rsync.dsbl.org::dsbl/rbldns-fresh-list.dsbl.org

The reason is that a sad kluge was put into rsync long ago to make
list-mode more useful.  Instead of adding a --list-mode option for the
client to auto-specify for the server (which is what should have been
done), the code was made to send a combination of --exclude="/*/*" and
-r to the sender as a way to get the contents of a single directory.
This means that a server that is configured to refuse -r (via the
"refuse options" setting in rsyncd.conf) won't let a user list a single
file.  It's a difficult task to fix this at this late stage and remain
backward-compatible with older versions.  I have an idea of how to make
this a little better, though, and I may go ahead and implement it.