Preliminary Suggestion For Atomic Transactions

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Wed Jan 5 18:59:44 GMT 2005

In the past there's been a need to provide consistency between symbolic
links or repository metadata during a sync.  Currently, rsync renames
files piecemeal.  The attached patch (extremely ugly) attempts to
resolve this by foregoing the rename step until the end.  It adds a new
option (if we didn't, ls might catch up).

There are several issues to get over.  The first big one in running the
testsuite is that the parent dirs mtime is not getting preserved.  I'll
need some insight into how this might work.  Next, hardlinks need some
work.  Finally, there are disk space considerations by leaving all tmp
files open until the transaction completes.  There might be security
issues by leaving a larger timing window .. who knows, i'm sure many
will make comments about this stuff.

I give you .... (drum roll) ... atomic transactions ... (tada).  (Faces
with perplex looks go here.)

--
-jeff