getting rsync to work +automating password line

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Feb 11 21:09:31 GMT 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:57:30PM -0500, Gil Naveh wrote:
> I type rsync -a e ServerB/... I get a prompt for #password:
> I tried rsync with the option --password-file=/name/of/file/with/password
> but it still asked me for password!

As the manpage states (though probably not as well as it should), the
password options are just for signing on to an rsync daemon.  Ssh is
prompting you for a password, and rsync does not have any options that
try to control that -- you can consult the ssh docs to figure out how to
setup a sign-in key or configure some kind of host-based authorization.
There's even a link to a tutorial on this subject on the resources page
of the rsync web site (though the site appears to be down at the moment;
you can access the page through the google cache if you google for
"site:www.jdmz.net ssh password" and click on the Cache link).