unable to open configuration file rsyncd.conf

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Fri Aug 26 08:55:11 GMT 2005

On Thu 25 Aug 2005, Tim.Clashin at calcucare.com wrote:

> Today from the client I want to just copy over to the server what files
> have changed today.
>
> So my command from the client is the following:
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync --partial --progress --stats -az -e "ssh -p 22"
> /"directory on the client" USER at boxA::modulename
>
> I do get a connection to Box B but after I enter the user's password thru
> ssh, I get the following the client:

[...]

> this is what is produced on the server /var/adm/messages:
> rsyncd[19422]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning] rsync: rsync: unable to open
> configuration file "rsyncd.conf": No such file or directory (2)
> rsyncd[19422]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning] rsync error: syntax or usage
> error (code 1) at clientserver.c(512)
> rsyncd[19436]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning] rsync: rsync: unable to open
> configuration file "rsyncd.conf": No such file or directory (2)
> rsyncd[19436]: [ID 702911 daemon.warning] rsync error: syntax or usage
> error (code 1) at clientserver.c(512)
>
> On the server I am running rsync in daemon mode by using this command,
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync --deamon --config /etc/rsyncd.conf, and the daemon is
> running, but the client is still get the unable to find /etc/rsyncd.conf.

If you supply -e ssh ... as parameters to rsync in combination with the
:: syntax, ssh is used to start a new rsync in daemon mode. If you're
not doing that as root, the default location for the config file is
rsyncd.conf in the current directory (typically $HOME). Hence it can't
find rsyncd.conf in ~USER/.

This isn't stated that clearly in the manpage, this might be mentioned
in the CONNECTING TO AN RSYNC SERVER OVER A REMOTE SHELL PROGRAM
section... the distinction between that section and the RUNNING AN RSYNC
SERVER OVER A REMOTE SHELL PROGRAM section is a bit vague as well.

Paul Slootman