ACL and RSYNC possible bug

Andrew Gideon c172driver99820 at tagonline.com
Sat Aug 20 03:15:56 GMT 2005

Marc Perkel wrote:

> Seems to me it should warn but continue to copy the files anyway ignoring
> the ACLs.

Not necessarily.  Failing to copy the ACLs could result in an insufficiently
protected file.  In that case, better to not copy w/o the ACLs.

And that's just an example off the top of my head.  There are probably other
good reasons to avoid that behavior.

At a more basic level, I think there's a general expectation that a file
"sync" should be atomic: all or nothing.  Failing to copy the file's ACL
while copying the file's content violates that expectation.

 - Andrew