win32, ssh and rsync

Terry Dooher tdooher.lists at naturalmotion.com
Thu Aug 11 12:55:34 GMT 2005

Donald Orbin wrote:
 > Hi all
 >
 > I have been trying to get myhead around this for
 > smetime now and hope one of the gurus here can assist.
 >
 > I would like to connect to a server(that is not
 > running a rsync daemon) to push files from a win32
 > (2003 server) to an OBSD machine.
 >
 > The command I have successfully used is:
 > rsync -Rrazvvu -e "ssh -i .ssh/pvt"
 > /cygdrive/c/dirname username at 1.2.3.4:BACKUP
 > [where BACKUP is a directory /home/username/BACKUP ]
 >
 > This reports "opening conection using " :
 > ssh -i .ssh/pvt -l username rsync --server
 > -vvulogDtprRz . BACKUP
 > [and youcan see the process on the server...
 >  ie: rsync --server -vvulogDtprRz . BACKUP ]
 >
 > After which te synchronisation takes place.
 >
 > I have written a compiled vb wrapper programto perform
 > this operation - however it does not run from the
 > windows 2003 scheduler.

I do a similar thing using a batch file wrapper to execute a shell script (So
I can pass command-line arguments to shell scripts from scheduled task)

Do you have any logging output from the task? What happens if you right-click
the job in the scheduler list and "Run now"?

Scheduled tasks do run in a different environment that interactive tasks.
Things to check are whether or not the wrapper can find the executables; if
the job is running as a user with all the necessary permissions; If the
wrapper needs access to the console to run and, generally, if the server is
available at the time the task is set to run.