multiple daemons on the same port

Hari Krishna Dara haridara at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 21:59:30 GMT 2005

On 8/1/05, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 06:28:03PM -0700, Hari Krishna Dara wrote:
> > I thought if a daemon is already running on the default port, I
> > thought the additional ones started on the same port will result
> > in an exit with error
>
> It certainly works that way on all the Unix-like OSes I know.  The
> error is output to the rsync log file:
>
> Aug  1 11:11:11 dot rsyncd[111]: unable to bind any inbound sockets on port 873
>
> You're talking about running the "rsync --daemon" command, right?
>
> ..wayne..

Yes, I am talking about the "rsync --daemon" command. On cygwin, I
don't get any error on the command-line, and duplicate daemons startup
just fine (I can see that in the ps list). When I kill the first
daemon, the clients can continue to connect, and fail only when I kill
the second instance also. Where is the log file located, I couldn't
find any after searching the entire cygwin installation for "*rsync*".

Thanks,
Hari

bash$ rsync --daemon
bash$ ps
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
     2012       1    2012       2012    ? 11848 14:58:11 /bin/rsync
bash$ rsync rsync://localhost
test            A module to test the daemon
bash$ rsync --daemon
bash$ ps
      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
     2012       1    2012       2012    ? 11848 14:58:11 /bin/rsync
     5148       1    5148       5148    ? 11848 14:58:31 /bin/rsync
bash$ rsync rsync://localhost
test            A module to test the daemon
bash$ kill 2012
bash$ rsync rsync://localhost
test            A module to test the daemon
bash$ kill 5148
bash$ rsync rsync://localhost
rsync: failed to connect to localhost: Connection refused
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.
0/clientserver.c(88)