files and directories with accented characters are destroyed

Jean-Max Reymond jmreymond at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:06:23 GMT 2005

2005/4/15, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org>:
> Looks like the root problem may be that one filesystem is is using a
> single-byte encoding, but the other is using multi-byte, and thus
> rejects an attempt to write out a name that doesn't follow this
> multi-byte convention.  There is a diff in the patches dir named
> fname-convert.diff that provides a way to ask rsync to convert names
> from one encoding to another.  I had been hoping to improve it a bit,
> but have not done much with it yet.  You might want to give it a try.

OK, I try the patch

For your understanding, ls -w is correct:

-- ckrmac:/tmp root# echo /tmp/t*
/tmp/tété
ckrmac:/tmp root# ls -w /tmp/t*
/tmp/tété
ckrmac:/tmp root# echo /tmp/t* | od -cx
0000000    /   t   m   p   /   t   e 314 201   t   e 314 201  \n
           2f74    6d70    2f74    65cc    8174    65cc    810a

--
Jean-Max Reymond
CKR Solutions Open Source