Extending --log-format

Christophe Kalt rsync at klb.taranis.org
Tue Sep 28 15:42:54 GMT 2004

On Sep 07, Wayne Davison wrote:
| On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:56:06AM -0400, Christophe Kalt wrote:
| > I'd like to extend rsync's --log-format to be more detailed
| > and ultimately work in --dry-run mode.
|
| Something like this would indeed be nice, and it was something that J.W.
| was going to work on were he still with us.  You might want to search
| the mailing list to see his previous comments and see if you agree with
| his proposed design (there's no code, just some discussion).

i couldn't find anything in my various searches :-(
if you have anything or can narrow the time frame, please let
me know so i can look again.

i started playing with the code a month ago or so to get a
better idea of what is involved and quickly came to realize
why noone's done this before ;-)

The biggest issue i see is that most of the necessary data
needed to produce extended logging is only available on the
receiving side while the current logging is done on the local
side (daemon stuff not withstanding).  This would need to be
changed, which means more network traffic if you're pushing.
i guess my question is "do we/you care to preserve the current
scheme for cases where extra information is not needed?"  On
the one hand, i would prefer to do away with it for the sake
of simplicity, on the other hand, i'll probably need to keep
it for backward compatibility anyways.