Extending --log-format

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Sep 28 17:27:02 GMT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 11:42:54AM -0400, Christophe Kalt wrote:
> i couldn't find anything in my various searches :-(

It was surprisingly hard to google for due to him using the phrase
"report options" for the idea.  Here are the messages to which I was
referring:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2003-May/006057.html
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2003-May/006058.html

> i guess my question is "do we/you care to preserve the current
> scheme for cases where extra information is not needed?"  On
> the one hand, i would prefer to do away with it for the sake
> of simplicity, on the other hand, i'll probably need to keep
> it for backward compatibility anyways.

As you say, the old code needs to remain for backward compatibility.
J.W. was thinking about using two bitmasks internally to control what
gets output in the "report" information, and I think it wouldn't be
that hard to leave the current bifurcated output scheme in rsync as
long as these bitmasks got communicated to the other side.