Ownership

Essyug essyug at free.fr
Tue Sep 28 15:15:55 GMT 2004

> 1. The receiving rsync isn't linked with the right library for
> getpwent() to find the name on that Linux system.

This could indeed be the case, but I don't know how to check/solve this.
I'm using nsswitch with winbind...

/etc/nsswitch.conf:

passwd:         compat winbind
group:          compat winbind

... but running the rsync configure script gives me!

checking compat.h usability... no
checking compat.h presence... no
checking for compat.h... no

How can I check whether rsync uses /etc/nsswitch.conf or not?

> 2. The name isn't really "testuser" -- e.g. it has a space or other
> weird character in the name.  You can check this one by capturing the
> output from those fprintf() lines you added and using "od" to dump the
> strings to see what the real character-by-character value the name has.

Yes, it is. I have tried with some strange names too, and got some
"Lookup of `????????' failed "