Ownership

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Sep 28 14:52:30 GMT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 10:26:32AM +0200, Essyug wrote:
> I really think it's on the rsync/cygwin side which probably
> sends the numeric id instead of the name, or simply doesn't send the
> name/uid map (although my user is known on this side, too).

No, the test output you saw proves that is not the case (rsync is
attempting to map the name, but the getpwent() call returns that the
name doesn't exist).  I can think of two possibilities:

1. The receiving rsync isn't linked with the right library for
getpwent() to find the name on that Linux system.

2. The name isn't really "testuser" -- e.g. it has a space or other
weird character in the name.  You can check this one by capturing the
output from those fprintf() lines you added and using "od" to dump the
strings to see what the real character-by-character value the name has.