question about using rsync with inetd

Kick Claus claus.kick at siemens.com
Fri Sep 10 13:55:06 GMT 2004

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:35:30 +0200
From: Paul Slootman <paul at debian.org>

Hello Paul,

>> we would like to use rsync (2.6.2 manualy patched and recompiled) in
daemon
>> mode spawned by inetd (Solaris 5.8 Environment).

>Hmm, I don't know whether this is supported...

Hm, then lets simply wait for someone who can supply the necessary
information then?

>> rsync stream tcp nowait publish /usr/bin/rsync rsyncd --daemon --port
1234 .

>AFAIK using --daemon tells rsync to become a daemon, and to listen to
>incoming connections (on port 1234 in this case) itself. This will fail
>as inetd is already listening to that port, hence it's in use.
>Inetd accepts the connection, and spawns the process with its stdin and
>stdout connected to the network socket.

So, I should try the same without specifying a port?

>You'd have to let inetd start rsync with the same options as when rsync
>is started by ssh, something with --server I guess. This isn't
>documented though...

Then I hope that someone reading this list can provide a definite answer :)

>What are your reasons for letting inetd accept the connection instead of
>having an rsync daemon?

Well, first of all, that was the way described in my "Solaris 8
Administrators Guide" book.
What is more, only changing two files and restarting inetd was necessary.
Moreover, that way, it would be one process less which is running
permanently,
so I figured, doing it this way might save some system ressources.
Finally, there is no need to write any additional shell scripts.

Cheers,

Claus Kick