RSync + SSH tunneling through firewall

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Wed Sep 8 11:18:02 GMT 2004

Stefaan Lhermitte wrote:
> Indeed, I want to:
> * to start rsync session A->C
> * cannot establish ssh session A->C (firewall)
> * but can establish ssh session A->B and B->C
>
> I think I understand the ssh hop. If I'm correct. I make a script file
> ssh-b that I subsequently invoke in the rsync command (./ssh-b).
>
> Unfortunately I still have a question concerning the ssh-b script.
> I have put:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec ssh myname at host-B ssh "$@"
>
> What stands the "$@" for?

It means all command line arguments

> When I run the ssh-b script and enter my password for host-B I get the
> --help printout on my screen?

The script is intended for use with ssh key authentication.
In such case you get no password promts.

> I assume I have to write something like:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec ssh myname at host-B ssh myname at host-C

Yes if you use user names on host A different than on host B and host C.

> But then I get the error:
> Pseudo terminal will not be allocated becausestdin is not a terminal.
> Permission denied.

Can you use key authentication for ssh sessions ?
[ It is the most obvious choice for most (but not all) situations ]

Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl
Home Page http://anfi.homeunix.net/ [ PageRank 6 ]