Database file rsync - any way to tell it to rsync against the last file?

Michael Bourgon bourgon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 14:01:21 GMT 2004

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:53:34 -0800, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> > Is there any way to tell it that I want to rsync mike_db_20041110.bak,
> > using mike_db_20041109.bak as a source, so that when I'm done I still
> > have both files?

> One solution that rsync supports out of the box is to use custom named
> directories with the same file name.  For instance, change the files to
> be these:

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to have MS SQL Server change its
naming method.

However, I was able to add a job to copy yesterday's file with today's
name before the nightly rsync job runs.  Only run it once, but I've
gone from 12+ hours to 2 hours.  Utterly amazing.  I was loving it
before, but now I'm in awe.  Many thanks.

> considering adding --fuzzy for the next release, but I'd like to see it
> improved a bit first.

Who would I ask to add something to the fuzzy algorhythm?  I'd like to
see it be able to cope with SQL Server files, which look like:
dbname_db_yyyymmddhhmm.bak
so, provided the backup starts at the same time every day, you'd have
mike_db_200411152034.bak
mike_db_200411162034.bak

Thanks!