Auth problem when running a remote script over SSH

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Mon May 31 14:38:06 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm running the rsync 2.6.2 (protocol 28) daemon on a SuSE 9.0 box (using
xinetd to start the service). This is my home computer.

A script on my computer at work (having an older rsync version 2.4.6,
 protocol 24) synces the files between the two computers. When I log on to
 this computer using ssh and execute the script everything is fine. So I do:
 ssh me at computer.work
./syncfiles (this is the script)
The script contains the line:
rsync -arvcu thesis/ home.computer::work/thesis

However (here comes the funny part), when I try to call the script like this:
ssh me at workcomputer './syncfiles'
I get an auth failed error:
2004/05/30 20:23:23 [13009] auth failed on module work from computer.work
(xx.xx.xx.xx)

The IP adress that is rejected is in the "hosts allow" section of rsync.conf
(and is in fact the correct IP address for computer.work, nothing wrong
here).

So I'm completely puzzled. The two ways of running the script are almost
identical, yet only one works.

Is there anything I can do about this?

best,
Jeroen

--
Kile - an Integrated LaTeX Environment for KDE
http://kile.sourceforge.net