protocol version mismatch

Arjen van der Meer ameer at science.uva.nl
Tue May 25 14:35:46 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am pretty new to rsync so this question might have a very trivial
answer. Sorry for that then. (using google didn't work though)

I want to synchronise the files from my laptop to my machine at work and
back from time to time. Both machines have linux (the laptop has fedora
core 2 with a 2.6.6 kernel and the remote machine redhat 9 with a
2.6.3 kernel)
On the laptop I use rsync v2.6.2 and on the remote machine I use v2.5.7

Using the following command:

  rsync -a /home/ameer/midastests remotemachine:/home/ameer/midastests

I get an errormessage:

  protocol version mismatch - is your shell clean?
  (see the rsync man page for an explanation)
  rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at compat.c(62)

I tried to use version v2.6.2 of rsync on the remotemachine, adding the
option:
  --rsync-path=/path-to-rsync/bin/rsync

This gave the same result. Also using v2.5.7 on the laptop gave the same
result and a test between two remotemachines at work running the same
versions gave the same.

Can somebody help me out with this? Thank you very much in advance

Cheers Arjen