Would this patch be useful...

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Sat May 15 06:00:04 GMT 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 11:41:02AM -0400, John Taylor wrote:
> > I am considering a patch that would exclude compressing a given list
> > of file extensions when the -z option is used.
>
> Well, since the daemon code has this, it makes sense to at least
> consider adding this to the normal remote-shell code.  I'm not sure how
> much this option speeds things up -- have you done any measuring?

An addition to this might be to reference /etc/mime-magic rather than rely
on a list to determine known formats that don't compress efficiently with
-z.

-Chuck

--
http://www.quantumlinux.com
 Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

 "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
  social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR