rsync output -vv differs with dry-run option

Dave.Turner at VerizonWireless.com Dave.Turner at VerizonWireless.com
Tue May 11 15:12:58 GMT 2004

Correction:

The options I'm comparing are -avr and -avrn. I meant that I'm getting a
different report with the -n compared to without -n.

Sorry...

Thanks,
Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: rsync-bounces+dave.turner=verizonwireless.com at lists.samba.org
[mailto:rsync-bounces+dave.turner=verizonwireless.com at lists.samba.org]On
Behalf Of Dave.Turner at VerizonWireless.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 11:06 AM
To: rsync at lists.samba.org
Subject: RE: rsync output -vv differs with dry-run option

I've noticed a difference between the dry-run and normal execution as well
using /usr/local/bin/rsync -avrnz --exclude-from=/davet/rsync.webmstr1
--stats webmstr at primey::webmstr1 /export/home/webmstr.

I'm not clear why, but it appears as if the dry run method, using -n, is not
reporting all the files that are actually effected. I'm basing this on the
report that rsync provides and am wondering if the -n only checks for files
that are actually going to be transferred while the -avrn report includes
empty diretories that will be created on the client side?

My two cents...

Thanks,
Dave