File that "vanish"es between readdir and stat is not IO error

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Tue Mar 30 23:16:34 GMT 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 03:21:16AM -0600, John Van Essen wrote:
>> In make_file(), when readlink_stat() fails, if error is NOENT
>> then perhaps do the same that that send_files() now does and
>> report as vanished and set IOERR_VANISHED?
>
> Appended is a first-cut of a patch to implement this.  I'm
> considering adding this into 2.6.1.  Opinions welcomed.

Thanks.  Looks good.  But this comment in make_file():

 			/* either symlink pointing nowhere or file that

got me to thinking.  If copy_links is selected and if the referent
is not found, then in that special case the file is truly missing,
not just vanished.  Short of merging the readlink_stat() code into
make_file(), I see no easy way to distinguish that condition.

    John