system crash while rsyncing stuff

Tomasz Bury tomek at tmm.pl
Tue Mar 30 13:56:00 GMT 2004

Hello,

I had a several system crashes (due to boken hardware) but it resulted
of a serious problem: rsync-ed files had a new date/size but the old
content. I think it was because the machine has lost all data from
in-memory file bufes before sync-ing it to HDD-s. Anyway, subsequent
passes of rsync skipped those files thinking they-re ok.

What do you think about a new feature to rsync: a "--sync" command line
switch that will force rsync to call sync() after every file (or maybe
chunk) is transferred? Do you think this can be usefull for all?

Regards,
Tomasz Bury