rsync wont work

Tim Conway conway at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 12 21:38:04 GMT 2004

As you may recall from the last time I answered you, please send the same
thing, but use 3 "v"s instead of only one.
rsync -vvvcrlpogtz . rsync at domain.ltd:/rsync/
Since you don't know which transport you are using, we can read the output
from the above command to find out.
You are not getting to a remote rsync process, either because the
transport (rsh/remsh or ssh) is not getting there (only a failed
authentication is possible, from the fact that you're getting a password
prompt), or because once it's there, it's not finding the remote rsync
binary(or not allowed to execute it).  Once we know you're getting a shell
open to rsync at domain.ltd, we then do
(rsh || ssh) (depending on what rsync is using in your case) -l rsync
domain.ltd which rsync
which will probably give a "not found".
find where it is on that system, and try your command again with
--rsync-path=/wherever/you/have/rsync/on/domain.ltd/rsync .

Repeating the question in exactly the same way, yet again, will not give
the information needed to solve your problem.

Tim Conway
Unix System Administration
Contractor - IBM Global Services
conway at us.ibm.com

"alexus" <ml at db.nexgen.com>
Sent by: rsync-bounces+conway=us.ibm.com at lists.samba.org
03/12/2004 12:19 PM

<rsync at lists.samba.org>
cc

Subject
rsync wont work

can someone tell me what am i doing wrong?

d# rsync -vcrlpogtz . rsync at domain.ltd:/rsync/
rsync at domain.ltd's password:
sh: rsync: rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync
error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(189)
d#

it works fine if i just specify directory instead of remote site, but
thats
not what i need..

thanks in advance

alexus