Where is my bottleneck?

Marc Abel m-abel at columbus.rr.com
Thu Mar 11 05:04:21 GMT 2004

I'm running rsync via ssh on two machines connected with 100 Mbit/s
Ethernet cards (at high speed) via a Linksys switch.  It's all right
here in a single closet.  I'm sending large files (initial transfer,
nothing preexists on the destination machine) and seeing transfer rates
in the 2 Mbit/s range.  The CPUs on both machines are more than 90%
idle, and I upped the --block-size to 256 kilobytes.  Disk activity is
very light.  Fedora Core 1, i686.

I don't expect 100 Mbit/s by any means, but 2?  Is this typical?  What
am I missing?

Thanks a million!

Marc Abel
Powell, Ohio