rsync between gateway and workstation

Jim Salter jim at jrssystems.net
Wed Mar 3 18:50:58 GMT 2004

Assuming you have sshd up and running on the remote box, and a user
named "backup" which can log in interactively, you could do something
like the following:

rsync -av --rsh="/usr/bin/ssh"
backup at remote.host.machine.address:/path/to/stuff

Note that many *nix distributions / ssh installations (quite properly)
do not allow direct remote root login over ssh.

-J