Trouble with rsync inside fcron: buffer overflow in recv_exclude_list

Hendrik Visage hvisage at envisage.co.za
Mon Jun 28 07:40:58 GMT 2004

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 11:58:39PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 09:41:49PM +0200, Hendrik Visage wrote:
> > /usr/bin/rsync   --delete-after   --max-delete=1 -pogtvS /var/spool/mail/* /md7/mail_backup/`date "+%H"`/
>
> Drop the '*' and try again (leave the trailing slash prior to the '*',
> of course).  It looks like you're running into the bug that affects
> multiple-sources combined with --delete (which is mentioned in bugzilla
> along with the patch that went into CVS to fix it).  If so, the failure
> symptom is not one I have seen before (it more typically crashes with a
> signal).

1) The * is needed because of the need to sync only the _files_ and
  no other directory beneath that directory's files.
2) Why does it work from a terminal? ie.
# /usr/local/sbin/mail_backup
Also, after I've been debugging alot, I found it also work under hc-cron,
but still not under fcron :(

3) And now the extremely scary part:
 added -vvvv before the --delete-after, and it started to work.
 Removed them one byone, and now it's working under fcron :(

Strange.....

Hendrik