rsync 2.6.2 doesn't work with GNU inetutils rsh

Anthony Heading aheading at jpmorgan.com
Fri Jun 4 17:16:17 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:35:24AM -0600, Tim Conway wrote:
> A few weeks ago, I corrected a guys commandline, wherein a flag came after
> a directory specification, and was informed that new libraries rearrange
> ARGV.  I was somewhat abashed, not having known that, but also thought
> that was a really stupid idea.  Now we have to do kludgy workarounds in
> order to accomodate users who are too stupid to understand a simple
> syntax.

Hmm. To be fair, rsh has always been an outlier - it's allowed flags
to follow the hostname ever since I can remember.  And there are
other fine examples of tradition like tar and dd which are hardly
exemplary.  If anything, I'd feel things are slowly getting better.
But for interest, which new library do you refer to above?

> You will have to write an rsh wrapper.

Hmm. That was actually what I did yesterday. It's not the right
solution to expect every end user to do that though.

Anthony

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates.