backup complete server

Scott Miller srmiller at interbel.net
Thu Jul 22 15:48:09 GMT 2004

primary = 10.28.123.232
backup = 10.28.123.230

On the "primary" server, I have edited my rsyncd.conf file to the following:

uid = 0
gid = 0
use chroot = no
max connections = 4
syslog facility = local5
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
read only = true
list = false
hosts allow = 10.28.123.230

[etc]
path = /etc
comment = system config files

[web]
path = /var/www
comment = web files

Now, from the "backup" server, I run the following command:

rsync 10.28.123.232:/var/www -avz /var/www
or
rsync 10.28.123.232:/var/www -v /var/www

And get the following errors:
connect to address 10.28.123.232: Connection refused
Trying krb4 rsh...
connect to address 10.28.123.232: Connection refused
trying normal rsh (/usr/bin/rsh)
10.28.123.232: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

Does rsync log anything anywhere so that i can see what's going on, or are
there any special debug commands I can use to see where I'm going wrong?

Also, when I do a:

rsync 10.28.123.232:: -v

from the backup server, it proudces nothing - no output at all.

Thanks,
Scott