rsync 2.6.0 - suspected memory leak bug

Garrett, Kelly Kelly.Garrett at Level3.com
Tue Jan 20 21:45:47 GMT 2004

I have downloaded and built rsync 2.6.0 on our HP ProLiant DL380-G3
servers (2 Hyperthread processors, 4 GB RAM, 840 GB Hard Disk, etc.
etc.) running Red Hat 8 with the latest errata kernel (2.4.20-28smp) and
updates from HP for RH8.

rsync is run in daemon mode from xinetd.  When doing transfers the
machine requesting the transfer starts to run out of memory.  After
every rsync transfer there is a large amount of memory that is not freed
up.  The amount seems to be related to the number of files being
transfered, not the number of bytes transfered.  It is interesting to
note that the transfer is started from the receiving machine, and the
memory leak is on the receiving side.  The sending side does not
experience the leak.

I have read other lists where there were memory leak problems with older
versions that were related to the files lists and tokens, and I am
wondering if that has crept back into the 2.6.0 code.  Or, (perhaps more
likely =8^) there is something wrong with my configuration or there were
some configure options I did not set.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

J. Kelly Garrett, CISSP