rsync 2.6.0 BIG memory leak

Kelly Garrett kelly.garrett at level3.com
Tue Jan 20 21:02:15 GMT 2004

Greetings all,

I have downloaded and built rsync 2.6.0 on our HP ProLiant DL380-G3 servers (2
Hyperthread processors, 4 GB RAM, 840 GB Hard Disk, etc. etc.) running Red Hat
8 with the latest errata kernel (2.4.20-28smp) and updates from HP for RH8.

rsync is run in daemon mode from xinetd.  When doing transfers the machine
requesting the transfer starts to run out of memory.  After every rsync
transfer there is a large amount of memory that is not freed up.  The amount
seems to be related to the number of files being transfered, not the number of
bytes transfered.  It is interesting to note that the transfer is started from
the receiving machine, and the memory leak is on the receiving side.  The
sending side does not experience the leak.

I have read other lists where there were memory leak problems with older
versions that were related to the files lists and tokens, and I am wondering if
that has crept back into the 2.6.0 code.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kelly