rsync not working with ZoneAlarm Pro

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Fri Jan 2 07:01:33 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-01 20:39:03 +0100, Óscar Frías Barranco <ofrias at wanadoo.es>
wrote in message <001b01c3d09e$eae0ff50$b1046650 at nuevofijo>:
> When I try to use rsync 2.5.7 from a Windows 2000 machine with CygWin and
> ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5.538, I get this error:

ZoneAlarm is a firewall for Win2k, right?

> Read from remote host myweb.com: Connection reset by peer
> rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.5.7/io.c(177)

> rsync -vaz --progress --recursive -e ssh myuser at myweb.com:/home/myuser/*
> /cygdrive/d/BackupsWebs/myweb.com/last/

So you're using ssh for transport, which is port 22/tcp.

> Do you know what is the problem?  Is it in rsync´s side or in ZoneAlarm´s?

Neither. It's you, the user. You misconfigured your firewall, and now
it's exactly doing what you told it to do. Allow 22/tcp to host
myweb.com.

MfG, JBG

--
   Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481