exclude everything and include directories

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Feb 27 07:39:32 GMT 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 06:51:33AM -0500, Don Shesnicky wrote:
> It seems that when you exclude everything you then need to include
> file by file. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

As the docs mention, you have to include every parent directory for
every file you want to include or the recursive algorithm will never get
down to the file to match it.  The alternative to this complexity is to
use 2.6.0 and the --files-from option (which lets you just list the
files you want to send).