open files

Jason M. Felice jfelice at cronosys.com
Fri Feb 20 22:16:46 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 02:19:26PM -0500, Jim Salter wrote:
> Jason, this is absolutely great info on the Win32 file locking system
> and sounds like a very very interesting patch indeed.
>
> A quick question, though - how hard would it be to use backup semantics
> as a default for an additional mount for the entire filesystem, rather
> than trying to tack it into rsync?  For example, we already have
> /cygdrive/c for the root c: filesystem, what if there were a
> /semantics/cygdrive/c to automatically attempt to use backup semantics
> if necessary on any file operations made on any of the files on the c:
> filesystem...?
>
> Just a thought.  Definitely not a kvetch.  But that would be an INSANELY
> useful addition to the cygwin package as a whole, and for the purists,
> file locking functionality definitely belongs more in the mounting of
> the filesystem itself than it does in rsync accessing a filesystem.

I've received a reply from the Cygwin people that suggests Cygwin
_always_ uses backup semantics, and a little information about how.
It's some pretty hairy code and I'm still deciphering it, but it could
be that I was authoring that patch for nothing.  I'll post more when I
figure it out.

--
 Jason M. Felice
 Cronosys, LLC <http://www.cronosys.com/>