open files

Jim Salter jim at jrssystems.net
Fri Feb 20 19:19:26 GMT 2004

Jason, this is absolutely great info on the Win32 file locking system
and sounds like a very very interesting patch indeed.

A quick question, though - how hard would it be to use backup semantics
as a default for an additional mount for the entire filesystem, rather
than trying to tack it into rsync?  For example, we already have
/cygdrive/c for the root c: filesystem, what if there were a
/semantics/cygdrive/c to automatically attempt to use backup semantics
if necessary on any file operations made on any of the files on the c:
filesystem...?

Just a thought.  Definitely not a kvetch.  But that would be an INSANELY
useful addition to the cygwin package as a whole, and for the purists,
file locking functionality definitely belongs more in the mounting of
the filesystem itself than it does in rsync accessing a filesystem.

-J