ssh - how to send password ?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Feb 19 18:57:49 GMT 2004

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 12:25:37PM +0000, huwybach wrote:
> is there a way of appending a password to an Rsync command argument[?]

No, rsync doesn't deal with remote-shell passwords at all.  That's
entirely between you and your remote shell of choice.

> Thanks to all who replied with the SSH keys solution - I'll investigate
> this over the weekend

You might also be interested in HostbasedAuthentication or its ssh1
equivalent, RhostsRSAAuthentication.  These allow you to create trust
between two or more systems by having them note the host keys and IP
addresses of the other systems you wish to trust.  It authorizes all
corresponding users between the systems (with the possible exception
of the root user, depending on how you set it up).