mirror whole hard disk with rsync

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Thu Feb 19 17:11:39 GMT 2004

Clint Byrum wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 07:48, Marc Perkel wrote:
>

>>Dick - that doesn't answer the man's question.
>>

>Its a valid question though (asking why not use RAID1 I mean). If we
>knew that, we could better serve his rsync question. Or he might not
>have realized that for things like this, RAID1 might be better. It just
>depends on his goals.
>
>For instance, if you're using removable IDE disks and rotating them
>periodically... RAID1 will not be good, because you'll have to re-sync
>the whole RAID1 every time.
>
>Then again, in situations like those.. something like drbd(distributed
>redundant block device) comes to mind. Google for drbd... network RAID1
>done right basically.

The reason I don't user Raid 1 is that more often than not I'm fixing
things for a bad install or accidental deletion. My second drive is my
UNDO drive. If I screw up using raid - i screw up both drives.

>>mount the other drive say as "/backup"
>>
>>rsync -ax --delete --force / /backup/
>>

>Almost.. you made the same mistake I made a few months ago when doing
>this.
>
>rsync -ax --delete --force --exclude /backup / /backup/
>
>Otherwise.. every time you do this, you end up copying your backup to
>/backup twice. ;)

Actually - doesn't the -x mean to not cross file systems and makes it
not backup the backup directory?