[patch] Add `--link-by-hash' option (rev 2).

Dick Streefland dick.streefland at altium.nl
Tue Feb 17 16:36:30 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 2004-02-17 09:34, Jason M. Felice wrote:
| All instances of the file will have the last mtime/permissions/ownership.
| This is not such a big deal for me (although it is annoying), but I
| can't afford to keep multiple copies of files just because the metadata
| is different.  If anyone has any suggestions to solve this which aren't
| too incredibly hackish, I'll implement (all I can think of is to store
| permissions in dotfiles or implement my original idea of a "database
| backend" as opposed to a "filesystem backend").

You could use symlinks instead of hardlinks when the metadata is
different. It requires an extra inode, but when the symlink is short
enough to fit in the inode, you don't need an additional disk block.

--
Dick Streefland                      ////                      Altium BV
dick.streefland at altium.nl           (@ @)          http://www.altium.com