Mac OS X HFS+ metadata patch, take 2

D Andrew Reynhout reynhout at quesera.com
Wed Aug 18 03:59:00 GMT 2004

Yes, I'm working on a proper AppleDouble format next.

It requires a combination of the two file handling procedures I've
added so far, which either: a) send a file under a newly composed
filename, or b) synthesize a "faux file" from filesystem metadata,
and send that under a composed filename, but not both.

The next step is to put the two together and send a single extra
file to the destination.  Someone has offered to work on coding the
reverse process, so hopefully it will all come together shortly.

I'll also update the patch to 2.6.3pre1.

Interestingly, all of the AppleDouble implementations I've been
reading ignore the Finder Comments field.  Some of them (e.g.
Mozilla) set up an entry for the data, but they never actually
put it in.  I guess users don't care about the Comments field.

Andrew
reynhout at quesera.com