rsync process never quits! BUG? PROBLEM?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Tue Aug 17 17:13:34 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 02:52, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:55:52AM +1000, Polyanovskyi, Sasha wrote:
> > *	on some of the destination machines not just one rsync daemon, but
> > two rsync.exe processes become running (even though only one of several
> > parallel rsync processes from the source machine deals with such a
> > destination machine)
>
> This is exactly as it should be -- the receiving system forks a separate
> generator process.
>

> My guess as to what is wrong is that you've encountered some kind of a
> cygwin bug.  I'd suggest removing inetd from the equation as a first
> step (i.e. run "rsync --daemon" directly and let it handle the incoming
> connections).  If the processes are still hanging around when they
> shouldn't be, you'll need to get some information on what the processes
> are doing at that point.  There are some debugging ideas on the issues
> page of the rsync web site that you can try.
>
> ..wayne..

I may or may not be having a related difficulty.

I'm using rsync 2.6.2  protocol version 28, on AIX 5.1, over rsh.

rsync worked like a champ for months, but suddenly every time I try to
sync, it's getting stuck.

truss'ing appears to show things are hung up in select()'s.

Any ideas?

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu>